How to get a job abroad?

As a national of an EU country, this route is much easier for you in certain countries. You can find work online before you leave, and social networks can help you a lot. It’s a good idea to ask yourself about your language skills before you start looking for a job, and it’s also good to know what you need once you’ve successfully passed the interview.

1. Finding a job in the European Union

Finding a job in the EU is much easier for Slovenian citizens because the free movement of workers is one of the freedoms of European citizens. This principle applies to the EU, Switzerland and the EEA (European Economic Area), which includes Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein as well as EU members. Every EU national has the right to work, live, retire or have the right to move and reside in these countries and does not need a work permit to work. Their position in the labour market is, in theory, the same as that of their nationals.

2. Where to look for jobs online?

EURES is a European portal that allows you to search for jobs in EU countries, brings together information about your destination country, shares a range of advice and has advisers available to help you. We recommend that you use the Europass template for your CV. It is also preferable to write your application in the language of the country where you are looking for work. www.willhaben.atGermany: And we shouldn’t forget social networks, especially LinkedIn, which allows us to connect professionally, and Facebook, where you can find a lot of the information you’re looking for in different user groups, e.g. Working abroad or Slovenians in Austria.

3. What do you need before working abroad?

If you are going to work abroad, it’s good to know where your language skills stand. If your employer requires proof of foreign language skills, you must pass the ÖSD International Exam in German. The test is recognised in all German-speaking countries, i.e. Germany, Switzerland and Austria. It is recommended that you first take the ÖSD exam preparation course, which you can attend online at Euro-lingua.

The course can also prepare you for a job interview in a foreign language.A list of useful documents to obtain before you go abroad:

  • valid ID and/or valid passport,
  • birth certificate,
  • original diplomas obtained in your home country or another country (for study or employment purposes),
  • certificates certifying your professional qualifications,
  • references from previous employers
  • European Health Insurance Card,
  • your most recent medical certificate or personal health record (to make it easier for the foreign doctor),
  • driving licence.

Certain documents need to be officially translated into a foreign language, depending on your employer’s requirements. These documents are translated by a sworn court interpreter appointed by the Ministry of Justice. Translations into German are carried out and certified by Marija Lindič prof. M.A. , who is a permanent sworn court interpreter for the German language by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Slovenia. We also regularly work with court interpreters from other language groups. They guarantee the authenticity of the translated documents by signing and sealing them.

4. what should you pay special attention to?

Before signing a work contract, check that it meets your expectations. Be aware of your rights, e.g. sickness benefits, maternity and paternity leave, insurance periods …( Make sure everything you have discussed with your future employer is written down– working hours, salary, housing costs, etc. If your employer sends you a contract, make sure you read and understand every word (especially the small print) before you apply or. whatever you sign. Living and working abroad also means paying taxes and contributions in your home country. Find out as much as you can about social security, converting gross to net income and income taxation. For more information, visit the website of the RS Revenue Administration.

5. What else needs to be done before I go abroad?

  • If you are going abroad for more than three months, you must notify the administrative unit of your temporary departure and your temporary residence in the foreign country (for more information, see the eGovernment portal),
  • If you are moving abroad permanently, you must declare your permanent residence in the Republic of Slovenia at the administrative unit or local office (for more information, see the eGovernment portal).
  • It is also important that you inform all the institutions you work with: bank, ZRSZ, post office, etc.

Now into action! We wish you every success.

For more content like this, sign up to our newsletter!

By subscribing to the Euro-lingua newsletter, I agree that Euro-lingua d.o.o. collects, stores, processes and uses all personal data provided in the form until cancellation, for the purposes of informing me about news, offers, events and for direct marketing, offer customization, analysis and research purposes. You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the newsletter you receive.

© Eurolingua 2021 – All rights reserved Facebook-f Instagram Youtube Linkedin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *